I am 20 weeks pregnant with my 4th baby. We found out we are having a boy! Hooray! We have two girls and one boy already, so now the score will be even with two girls and two boys! Hard to believe that I am at the halfway point of this pregnancy.
This pregnancy has been my easiest (thus far) and I know that it is attributed to my healthy lifestyle change that took place a year and a half ago. After suffering with hypothyroidism for a couple years, I sought out a holistic doctor who helped me tremendously. I am still working towards recovering from adrenal fatigue mixed with hypothyroidism (the two are definitely related!), but I am about 85% better than I was a year and a half ago! Since embarking on a health journey, I have gained a lot of knowledge through my study and certification as a Health Coach through Dr. Sears’ Wellness Institute. My Health Coach certification and my own personal experience have provided me with great resources to have a healthy, enjoyable pregnancy.
Tips for feeling great during pregnancy!
- Eating real, whole foods. I try to avoid processed food for the most part, with the exception of certain protein bars for when I am out and about. Eating a diet consisting of real, unprocessed foods is the best option for anyone, including pregnant women! The further a food is removed from it’s natural source, the more refined sugar is added and processing occurs. There is no substitution for eating real food! There is truth to the saying “you are what you eat”!
- Drinking Water. Our bodies are 70% water. We need to be hydrated! If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. I aim for about 90 ounces of water per day. I eliminated soda from my diet several years ago after I found out that for every cup (8 ounces) of soda that a person drinks, they must drink 32 ounces of water to flush out the negative, acidic effects of soda. Water is my drink of choice, along with certain herbal teas, or fresh squeezed lemonade on occasion.
- Exercise. I aim to be active throughout the day, whether it is going for a nature walk, doing prenatal yoga, or dancing around the house with my kids to loud, fun music! Movement is key and always makes me feel great!
- Essential Oils. I love essential oils. They have been a staple in our house for the last year and a half. It is our go to remedy of choice! Definitely check with you doctor about which oils are safe to use during pregnancy. My favorite oils for this pregnancy are: citrus oils (bergamot, wild orange), lavender, and frankincense.
- Sleep, Rest, and Relaxation. This is the most difficult one for me. I try to be in bed around 10:30-11, but it doesn’t always happen! Also, the further along I get in my pregnancy, the more difficult it will be for me to sleep. My remedy for this is to plan resting periods throughout the day, even if it’s just 15-20 minutes here and there. Letting my body rest and recover for short spurts allows me to feel rejuvenated and able to carry on throughout the day.
- Good Attitude. Our attitude shapes our day. When we “wake up on the wrong side of the bed” it affects our whole outlook. Maintain a good, positive attitude and take each day’s challenges with stride. My holistic doctor is always telling me to let things roll off and not bother me. This is sometimes easier said than done! But nonetheless, I aim to not sweat the small stuff! 🙂
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.”